STEAM BOILER ENGINEERS (PART B & C) COURSE
28 hours (Four (4) days)
- New engineers, team leaders/coordinators, operations engineer, maintenance team leaders, engineers, operations team leaders, inspection, senior operations and maintenance personnel.
- Experienced professionals who want to review or broaden their understanding of steam boiler systems.
- Engineers who want to sit the Steam Boiler Engineer’s Certificate of Competency examination with the Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Malaysia (DOSH).
Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, Power Plant, Renewal Energy Plant, Co-Generation Plant, Palm Oil Mills and Refineries, Plywood Industries, Hotels and all industries that using steam for heating and mechanical driven.
This course is endorsed by The Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM) under the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) program.
This course will provide the participant with a detailed knowledge of the responsibilities of personnel involved in the manufacturing, fabrication and inspection of new steam boiler plant components and new construction activity as defined by ASME Section I and Factories and Machinery Act, 1970.
The training course is to enhance engineer’s knowledge and understanding of the requirements for selection, construction, commissioning, operation, inspection, repair and maintenance of steam boilers in accordance with International Codes & Standards and Laws in Malaysia (such as Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994, Factories and Machinery Act 1967 (Act 139), Regulations 1970 and Regulations 2014).
At the end of the course, the delegates will be able to: –
- Identify the related laws, codes and standards for steam boiler design, installation, fabrication, operation, inspection, repair and maintenance.
- Identify the major hazards that’s related to operation and maintaining the boiler and steam systems.
- Operate the steam boilers and steam systems with the safe conditions.
- Describe the boiler commissioning, operations, trouble-shooting, inspections, repairs and maintenance processes.
- Describe key parameters affecting boiler performance and efficiency.
- Describe the principles of thermodynamics of steam boiler and steam systems.
- Describe the uses of steam in process plant and power generation sector.
- Describe basic controls used in boiler operation.
- Identify the boiler operation rules in safety from industrial combustion phenomena to feed water quality.
- Sit for the examination of the Steam Engineer’s Certificate of Competency (Part B & Part C) Grade 1 & 2 with the Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Malaysia (DOSH).
- Pre- and Post-Test
- Classroom discussions
- Short video presentation
- Case study
Applicable Codes & Standard and Laws Related to Steam Boilers
- History of Codes and Standards Related to Steam Boilers
- Overview of the OSHA, 1994 and FMA, 1967
- Steam Boiler and Unfired Vessels Regulations,1970,
- Person-In-Charge (Amendment) Regulations, 2014
- Notification, Certificate of Fitness and Inspection Regulations, 1970
- Special Scheme of Inspection (Risk-Based Inspection) Regulations, 2014
- Safety, Health and Welfare Regulations, 1970
Introduction to Steam Boilers
- Definition of the Boiler,
- The Efficient Use of Steam,
- Steam Plant Conceptual Design,
- Steam Properties: –
- Types of steam,
- Temperature–Entropy and Temperature-Enthalpy diagrams,
- Application of wet and dry steam.
- Boiler Efficiency and Energy Management,
- Boiler Classifications,
- Boiler Circulations,
- Principle of Fire Tube Boiler,
- Principle of Water Tube Boiler,
- Comparison between fire tube and water tube boiler, and
- Universal Pressure Boiler (Supercritical Boiler).
Steam Boiler Operations and Troubleshooting
- Fundamental Operational Responsibilities
- Operating Logs and General Checks Around the Boiler
- Boiler Plant Flow Diagram
- Start-up Guidelines,
- Boiler Operations,
- Boiler Trip and Protections,
- Water Level Controls,
- Boiler Operations Carry-over,
- Steam Temperature Control,
- Blow down Requirements,
- Boiler Emergencies and Safety,
- Idle Boiler (Boiler Storage),
- Returning Idle Boilers to Operation, and
- Commissioning Activities.
Safety Valves, Water Gauge Glass and Boiler Drums
- Pressure Safety Valve;
- Function of Safety Valves,
- Set Pressure,
- Closing pressure,
- Valve lift,
- Authorized Safe Working Pressure (ASWP),
- Setting Pressure Safety Valve,
- Safety valve testing,
- Troubleshooting of safety valve,
- Routine check/inspection, and
- Safety valve adjustment and setting.
- Water Gauge Glass;
- Function of Gauge glass,
- Installation of Water Gauge,
- Testing of Water Gauge and Repair.
- Boiler Drums;
- Purpose of Boiler Drums,
- Equipment connected to boiler drums, and
- Equipment inside boiler drums.
- Introduction to combustions
- Combustion Theory
- Products of Combustion
- Basic Combustion Equations
- Flue Gas Analysis
- General Considerations Regarding Safety
- General Firing Practice for Boilers
- Burners and Atomizer for Fuel Oil
- Soot Blower
- Gas burners and Trial for Ignition Time (TFIT)
- Corrosions Related to Combustion
Boiler Water Treatment
- Introduction to boiler water treatments
- Objectives of boiler water treatment
- Types of Water Treatments
- Raw Water System and filtration systems
- Demineralization Water System
- Membrane Technology
- Deaerator Systems
- Reliability of Steam Boiler System Related to Water Quality
- Boiler Water Specifications
- Effects of Scaling for Steam Boiler Efficiency and Integrity
- Water Treatment Concerns
Steam Turbines Fundamentals
- Introduction of Steam Turbines
- Types of Steam Turbines
- Principle of Impulse and Reaction Turbines
- Start-up and Shutdown Guidelines
- Deposits Problem on Steam Turbines
Material Science and Engineering
- Classification of materials,
- Metallic Crystal Structures
- Imperfection in Solids
- Mechanical Properties of Metals
- Material deformations,
- Engineering Stress-strain,
- Materials testing,
- Correlation between Hardness and Tensile Strength
- Failure Mechanism,
- Mechanical working of steel,
- Heat Treatments of Steels,
- Iron-carbon equilibrium diagram,
- Ferrous metals, and
- Boiler material specifications.
Welding and Non-Destructive Testing Fundamentals
- Basic Principles and Different Types of Welding,
- Weld joint and preparations,
- Heat Affected Zone (HAZ),
- Destructive Test,
- Non-Destructive Test (NDT) methods,
- Pre-heat and Post Weld Heat Treatment (PWHT),
- Welding Procedure Specification (WPS)
- Welder Performance Qualification Test (WPQT), and
- Welding Qualification Test (WQT),
Steam Boiler Inspection, Maintenance and Repairs
- Introduction to Boiler Maintenance,
- Maintenance Objectives
- Boiler Maintenance Program
- Inspections and Overhaul Procedures
- Boiler Inspections
- Maintenance of Valves and Fittings,
- Maintenance Procedures, and
- Details of Repair Procedures.
Steam Boiler Failures
- Types of Failure,
- Causes of Failure, and
- Prevention from Failures
Review of DOSH Examinations
- Part C (Interview) and Part B (Written Examination)