STEAM TURBINES TECHNOLOGY COURSE
14 hours (Two (2) days)
This course is ideal for plant operations, maintenance, and engineering personnel interested in gaining broad understanding of steam turbine operation, troubleshooting and maintenance. It is ideal for new engineers and/or those who are new to turbine technology.
Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, Power Plant, Renewal Energy Plant, Co-Generation Plant, Refineries, Palm Oil Mills and others related industries that using steam turbines.
This course can be certified for the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program by the Board of Engineers, Malaysia (BEM).
Steam turbine operation and maintenance are essential to the Oil & Gas, power plant and manufacturing industries. Efficient and effective maintenance awareness training is a crucial step that would increase the overall efficiency of manufacturing company.
Understanding of steam turbine operation and maintenance would help managers, engineers and technicians to cost effectively plan and organize the maintenance activities efficiently.
The objective of this course is to give participants an understanding of basic steam turbine component construction and maintenance procedures as well as a fundamental knowledge of the auxiliary systems function and preventative maintenance requirements.
This fundamental knowledge will allow participants to approach operation and maintenance activities with confidence.
Upon completion of this course, participant will be able to: –
- Explain the operating principles of steam turbines,
- Recognize operating problems,
- Implement a steam turbine troubleshooting monitoring.
- Increase confidence to operate and supervise steam plant
- Explain the importance of the components used in steam plant
- Describe the principles of operation and maintenance of steam plant
- Understand the concepts such as operation, maintenance and turbine failures
INTRODUCTION TO STEAM TURBINES
- Why mechanical drive steam turbines are applied?
- Overview of steam turbine fundamentals
- Overview of steam turbine types and controls
TURBINE CASING AND MAJOR STATIONARY COMPONENTS
- Casing design
- Steam admission sections
- Steam turbine diaphragms and labyrinth packing
BEARINGS FOR MECHANICAL DRIVE TURBINES
- Journal bearings for industrial turbomachinery
- Key design parameters
- Thrust bearings for turbomachinery
- Active magnetic bearings
MAJOR ROTATING COMPONENTS
- Rotor for impulse turbines
- Rotor for reaction turbines
- Turbine blade design overview: –
- Blade materials
- Blade root attachments
- Lube systems
- Barring or turning gears
- Trip-throttle or main stop valves
- Overspeed trip devices
- Gland seal systems
- Lube oil purifiers
REACTION VS. IMPULSE TYPES STEAM TURBINES
- Impulse and Reaction Turbines compared
- Design: –
- Axial thrust
- Design features of modern reaction turbines
- Deposit formation and turbine water washing
OPERATION AND TROUBLESHOOTING
- Start-up and shutdown guidelines
- Steam Turbine Problems
- Turbine Deposits Problems